Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Egoless?????



Probably it was all a lesson to teach us, a truly great person doesn't have the airs of his/her greatness.

I saw Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam up close for the first time in life today. The former President of India has the simplicity and humility which we visibly lacked, even being mere Associate secretaries of our respective departments and not an ounce more than the scores of achievers around the world.

Decked up in colour coordinated sarees, laughing, talking and joking near the red carpet, complaining of the pain in our high heeled feet due to standing and bickering about the heat even under the shade of a cosy tree, we were quite a contrast to the person whom we were all gathered to welcome.

I greeted him with folded hands, in a namaste.He simply asked me in tamil, looking at me in the face, "What are you studying?". Not so proud of my department in a BCom dominated Science and Arts college I answered "Biochemistry sir." "Oh that's a very good field!" he said and proceeded to greet my friend who was standing adjacent to me.

A few seconds of conversation, a few simple words, but with wholesome attention, even being total strangers to each others, it was disarming. What if we could learn this art of simple conversation in this ticking time bomb of a world and learn to be atleast graceful to those who approach us for help, if not actually help them? It humbled me greatly.

The true essence of knowledge is not extended degrees behind your name, but wisdom and civilization in your thought word and deed.

Like his knowledge equation says, knowledge=creativity+righteousness in the heart+courage.
  

8 comments:

  1. so did you actually meet him?? how?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a function in my college... we were inaugurating the new campus and he was the chief guest

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops i'd made a grammatical mistake in my last comment..

    What I meant was.. He's an egoist and not an egotist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't deleted your post Ankit... anyway, I don't understand what you're trying to convey... I'm sorry for that.
    Thanks for your comments, I appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simplicity is the best policy. Dr. A.P.J Abdul Kalam is a great soul often mis-understood by politicians. My sis family met him aborad.

    He is the definition of "Adakkam Amara Arul Uykkum"

    Dear Sir we are proud to be living in your lifetime. Let you live longer and serve our country. Jai Hind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poorvisha "Ego" is a mis-interpreted word. We all have Ego to an extent. Kalam is not Egoless but he is Ego-less. He is proud to be Indian. Whats wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vikram you're perfectly right in your interpretation of the post... I intend exactly this message.

    ReplyDelete